About Author

A postgraduate in Physics and Business Administration with 25 years of experience in IT /BPO /Construction/ Education and Training sector.

திங்கள், 19 டிசம்பர், 2011

Letters between a student and teacher

Dr.P.Manickam,                                                                                                                    8.9.2008
Head, Department of English,
National College, Trichy.         

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for sparing your time and caring to speak with me. It was a wonderful conversation I had with you this morning. It has recharged me with bubbling enthusiasm to remain cheerful for the rest of the week.

It was during 1981- 83 that I studied in Gurunanak and you were my English teacher. I remember the style and methodology you adhered to while conducting classes. I can recall all that you taught us in poetry, prose, essay writing, grammar and the vivd narration you gave for the non-detailed prose 'A tale of two cities'. You taught us Nissim's 'Night of the Scorpion' for three days. From my experience, I am of the view that 'the art of teaching cannot be educated' even though one qualifies for a B.Ed degree. You are a class of your domain people and an ideal personality who can inculcate all traits in students. Never ever I had seen you sporting disarrayed, unkempt or un-gelled hair.

Of course, you may think now what is so special about you. I don't know about my class mates but you left a strong impact which is indelible in my mind. It is destiny that has shown my master after a gap of two decades. I admired you as a good teacher, photographer, motivator and methodist. You conducted well with fellow teachers also. I had seen you writing letters very often with interest. Now the trend is replaced by SMS / abbreviated email English.

Some names of my class mates are Balasubramani, Nedumaran, Kumar and a Manipuri boy Subhakumar. Some of the teachers who were your contemporaries include Mr.Ismail, Ms. Shantha Nair, Mr.Baljit Singh, Ms.Poongothai and others.  Every evening after school, I was fortunate enough to be accompanied by you, travelled by bus from Velachery and walked through the Jones Road to Saidapet Railway station together. I used to bombard you with a volley of questions enroute. You would then board a train for Kodambakkam and I took one to Chromepet. Now I hardly see a teacher-student duo brushing on the streets. Even if this continued, a teacher's social ego today would not permit him to go with a student.

Not all teachers enter into the positive memories of a student. I graduated in Physics from Gurunanak College, M.Sc from Annamalai University and later added a PG in Business Admin from Pondicherry University. Now I am heading the HR division of a BPO group of companies in Chennai. Since 2005, I have been a successful writer cum poet in Tamil and English. I do content writing, blogs, Tamil thodar on Self improvement, Time management etc. I contribute to English Travel magazines, The Hindu and some ezines. Since July 2008, I have restricted my writing for paucity of time because I have taken up private consultancy also.

Now when I look back at the reminiscences, my mind appears very fresh and energetic like the dew drops at dawn.

It’s so nice that your eldest son is with CISCO. To refresh your memories, I am attaching my photograph as you saw me in 1981. Also attached are some samples of my published articles in Tamil /English.  Interestingly, at college I was a student of Dr.M.Palanisamy (Gurunanak College) and I think he had retired from National College two years ago as Head-Physics Dept.

Please keep sending me mails and I am very happy that I have traced my beloved teacher after two plus decades. Based on my memories and narration, I think I did the umpiring and appraiser roles better as a student.

Convey my regards to one and all in your family. Please do send across your latest photograph for my album. Take care.

Regards,

S.Chandrasekar
========================================================================
                                                                                                                                    11.9.2008
Dear Chandru, 
 
Thank you very much for your mail, photos, and articles. I have recognized you from your boyhood photo. I remember you were fair, lean, and calm, and you showed interest in talking to teachers. You were an intelligent and enthusiastic student, showing signs of learning and growing. Thank you Chandru for your loving words and remembrances.
The past is always happy and nostalgic. I am not computer savvy and I don’t read emails daily. Don’t mistake me. I congratulate you for your accomplishment as a writer and poet. I wish you good luck, excellent health and a HAPPY LIFE.
I am happy you have made it bigger with multi-faceted talents. You have been the only student who took effort to trace me and renew contact. I am due for retirement in 2012.
Please email your postal address too.  I feel comfortable to write letters than email.
My residential address is: No. 41, Fourth Cross, Nagappa Nagar,
                                        Airport,Tiruchy-620 007.

With Love
P. Manickam




======================================================================

கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக